We will implement our product stewardship strategy through the Never Compromise Pillar of our Twentyby30 program. Our approach aims to minimize the environmental and social impacts of our products throughout their entire lifecycle and includes three core components:
- Leveraging eco-design techniques and manufacturing innovation to minimize the footprint of our products and processes for the benefit of the environment and people. This will include examining a range of issues during the development process including how to reduce resource consumption and eliminate waste and emissions. The benefits of our design and innovation will extend to our customers in the form of a lower product footprint, which in turn helps them meet their own sustainability goals.
- Complying with food contact and chemical safety standards to ensure products meet customer expectations without compromising the wellbeing of consumers, employees and the environment.
- Expanding our responsible and ethical sourcing program to address the social and environmental impacts of the materials and products we purchase. This includes closely examining suppliers, encouraging them to reduce their environmental and social footprint, seeking third-party verification and training our employees on ethical procurement.
Continuing our 125+ year track record of sustainable innovation requires our efforts to work in harmony with those of our suppliers to create products trusted by millions of consumers every day. As such, we have established the following product stewardship goals for the Twentyby30 program:
Decrease the lifecycle footprint of our products and processes through eco-design and manufacturing innovation. 万博3.0安卓客户端下载 commits to devoting at least 50% of its Research & Development technology developments toward minimizing the footprint of its products and manufacturing processes.
By 2022, all operations meet a new consolidated “One 万博3.0安卓客户端下载 Standard.” This new standard will unify existing standards of migration, toxicology and safety utilized in our various geographical locations. By 2025, 万博3.0安卓客户端下载 will have screened all food contact materials for presence of Chemicals of Concern (COC) and will take action to eliminate them where deemed necessary.
By 2025, all suppliers determined as high risk are assessed by third-party verification assessments. By 2030, 100% of 万博3.0安卓客户端下载’s core raw materials and service suppliers, by spend, are assessed and comply with 万博3.0安卓客户端下载 Responsible and Ethical Sourcing policies and requirements, with an interim target of achieving 75% by 2025.
To achieve our product stewardship goals we will:
Decrease Product Lifecycle Footprint
- Utilize Design for the Environment (DfE) and lifecycle thinking to help us decrease the footprint of our product and manufacturing processes footprint for the benefit of 万博3.0安卓客户端下载, our customers and the end consumer. To do this, we will focus on areas such as lightweighting, material and spoilage reduction, increased resource efficiencies, improved safety, greater recyclability or reusability and enhanced manufacturing process controls.
Food Contact and Chemical Safety
- Unify existing standards and food contact requirements from around the world into One 万博3.0安卓客户端下载 Standard.
- Implement the One 万博3.0安卓客户端下载 Standard across the Company’s global Divisions.
- Screen all food contact materials for COC by 2025.
- Eliminate COC when an alternative solution is feasible and available.
- Submit materials for independent safety evaluations if the COC cannot be eliminated. If the evaluation identifies an insufficient safety margin, we will work with the material supplier to reduce exposure and mitigate potential risks.
Responsible and Ethical Sourcing
- Expand our responsible sourcing program globally.
- Incorporate social and environmental criteria into new contracts or when existing contracts are reviewed/renewed/reappraised.
- Deploy third-party assessments and audits for goods and services purchased that fall into risky categories.
- Seek proof of compliance with our Ethical and Responsible Sourcing Program requirements.
- Encourage our suppliers to utilize third-party organizations such as the Ethical Trading Initiative (ETI) and the Aluminum Stewardship Initiative (ASI) to help us verify the credibility of their risk screening.
- Train our employees on ethical procurement.
Progress in Practice
Our innovations touch the lives of millions of people around the world every single day. Whether improving existing products or breaking new ground in packaging technology, our Research & Development efforts remain focused on delivering innovation that responds directly to the needs of consumers and helps our customers advance their own sustainability performance. Here are just a few examples:
A Minor Design Change Yields a Major Material and Footprint Reduction
SuperEnd® beverage ends were designed to use 10% less metal than traditional beverage ends, contributing to a lighter-weight beverage can that minimizes material usage and requires less energy during distribution. Since we debuted the SuperEnd® beverage end in 2000, the nearly 700 billion ends produced have reduced aluminum usage by over 177,000 metric tons and coatings by over 3,000 metric tons, saving close to 1.4 million metric tons of greenhouse gases—the equivalent of nearly 300,000 passenger vehicles driven for one year.
Taking Functionality and Sustainability to the Next Level
Designed for dry foods, the Peelfit™ can utilizes revolutionary Direct Heat Sealing Technology (DHS) to bond an aluminum foil to a collapsed bead within the can body, eliminating the rigid steel ring typically required in double seaming applications. This yields a 16% savings in materials and 32% savings in energy
UN Sustainable Development Goals
In 2015, the United Nations General Assembly announced 17 Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) to address global challenges and set a blueprint for action to achieve the goals by 2030.
Our sustainability priorities are aligned with the SDGs so that our actions can contribute to a greater collective impact. Learn more about our alignment with each goal.